Monday, July 18, 2011

My Life Thus Far

I've been thinking a lot the last couple days about my life and where I'm at right now....
This started last week when I heard about the death of a girl I worked with, Lacey Allen. Lacey was a baby, only 20 years old, but for whatever reason her mission here on earth was complete. 
I don't pretend to know the answers to all the whys in life, but as I sat in her funeral reflecting upon my own life, I began to wonder what would people say at my funeral if I died today. And I realized sadly, that maybe people wouldn't say the things I hoped they would say. I began to see how I hadn't treated people in my life the way that I should have treated them; I wasn't as kind to strangers as I should have been; I hadn't spoken kind words when they needed to be spoken. I hadn't become as Christlike as I want to be.

As these thoughts came to me, I also saw how I could improve my life and become more Christlike. 
There are countless times throughout the day when we are given the opportunity to do something Christlike...but how maybe times do we simply ignore these promptings? I can become more Christlike when I serve those around me. The Savior said, 'When ye have done it unto the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matt. 25:40).
Which leads me to what I want people to say at my funeral......
I want people to remember me as being a disciple of Christ. I want people to remember me as being someone that they could always turn to in their time of need and I was there. I want people to remember me as someone who always had a smile on my face, like my friend Leigh. She never seems to have a bad day, and I admire her for that. I want to be remembered as someone who loved the Gospel and who was an example to all those around me. I want people to remember me as having the Light of Christ shining through me. I want people who don't know Christ after meeting me and getting to know me, will want to know Him and who He is; not because of me, but because they were able to feel the love that He has for them, through me. I want to be an instrument in the Lord's hands. I want the Lord to be able to trust me and call me His friend.
I realize that those last few things may not happen in this lifetime, but one day I hope and pray that when I meet my Savior, He will say to be, "thou good and faithful servant, enter into my kingdom"

After reflecting upon the things that I want to change in my own life, I quickly saw the many, MANY tender mercies the Lord has provided me in my life. In the way of friends, family members, things that have happened in my life both good and bad, and many more. But the few I want to talk about are the friends that I have gained...mainly from EFY, but not totally. lol
No one is ever placed into our lives by accident; there are no accidents in life. Every person in my life has been placed in my life for a specific reason; there are still people who I have meet that I do not understand why they were in my life, yet I know there was a reason...maybe they needed something from me or needed to learn patience from me. lol
This I do know, the friends that I have, have been heaven sent. They have strengthen me in ways I cannot describe in words. They have helped me reach heights I did not know I was able to reach. My testimony has grown from their example and their love towards me. I see them and want to become like them; I want to be a better person like they are. I see their kindness, and I strive to be more kind. I see the love that they have, and I strive to love as they do. I will not name names, bc I already have, but one  I will name is my very best friend...my mom. My Momma is the greatest example of love, kindness, service, and many more Christlike attitudes of anyone that I know. I hope and pray that one day if/when I have children, I can be half the mother to my children that my Momma was to me. She is the reason I am the woman I am today. Without her by my side, I would be lost in a dark and lonely world, but I'm not. I always have a friend who will never leave me and never lead me astray. And for that, I am forever grateful for her and all that she is and does for me every single day. =D








No comments:

Post a Comment